Monday, January 2, 2012

Gardening Tips for Dog Owners

Having a dog is like having a child. It is important to make sure that they are unable to get into things which can harm them. The outdoors is no exception. When your dog is outside, make sure that all toxic chemicals are kept away. Dogs are very curious and find themselves causing mischief often. All toxic chemicals should be in the home on top shelves, or at least locked on bottom shelves, but I do not advocate this as well due to the curious nature of dogs. I myself have a beagle and he has found himself in many silly situations; however, he has never ingested anything fatal.

Be aware of the plants kept outside, as not all plants are non toxic. A good link to visit is http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/. You will get a comprehensive list of plants to stay away from.

Consider using containers or planters when planting a garden and vegetables. It is much easier to maintain. In regards to keeping your dog outside, always remember to lock the gate. I myself have two locks, one on the inside and one on the outside. Soon after moving to my home, I noticed my beagle liked to play houdini one too many times, so I finally hired a contractor to install the locks. This has lead to me not having to worry when at work. It is also a good idea to have your neighbor's number on speed dial in case you are ever uncertain or want to have it checked.

Always make sure that your dog has water. This sounds obvious, but it is especially crucial during the summer months. When at work, and if the temperatures hit the high nineties or hundreds, I would call my neighbor to look in and make sure that he still had water. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Lastly, make sure that any jagged rocks are removed outside. This includes sharp objects such as shovels. They should be locked inside a shed or another safe location. By taking precautions early, you will prevent illness or even death in your dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment