Sunday, February 12, 2012

Ways to Resolve Pet Conflicts

Have you ever received a call or letter in the mailbox about your barking dog? It can be very distressing to receive such news from your neighbor and there may be a sense of helplessness and anger. However, it is best to handle the situation so that the relationship does not deteriorate.

The first thing to do is to identify your situation. Can it be managed? When I moved 12 years ago to Cotati, it took a while for my dog to get used to the new environment. I went through too much flashing, which was ripped off every two days. I was working full time. When I received a note from my neighbors about him barking, yes, I was very mad, but I forced me to take action and hire a dog walker. His behavior was much better from then on. In fact, I like to think he was a model dog. Although expensive, it gave me piece of mind, knowing my dog would be safe and have the exercise needed when I was gone, as well as giving my neighbors some peace.

During my beagle's earlier years, he was very mischevious. Back to the flashing. So, after picking up my dog from the pound one day, as he ate the flashing once again and got out my fenced gate, I decided to hire my contractor and put a iron gate on my own gate. It has worked magically for years and he has never escaped since. Having a dog is like having a child. There is much trial and error, but you will eventually find out what works for you and your dog.

If your neighbor(s) notice you are taking steps to try to curb your dog's barking or other problem which they may be having, it will go a long way. I pass this on using my own experience. If you are retired or live at home and your dog is annoying  neighbors, it simply comes down to whether your neighbors are right about your dog. Perhaps your dog was adopted and has anxiety or abuse problems. If that is the case, it is wise to call your nearest animal shelter and they will give you advice for free. It is also worthwhile to speak to your veterinarian. They are a valuable service.

Indoor cats provide no problems to your neighbor. In fact, I would say that even outdoor cats most likely do not provide problems. Dogs are social animals and if the owner is working, it is natural to have a dog bark. Dogs know when someone is at a gate, your home and are protective. You may have a neighbor which is just being a pain. I am sure there are those out there who do not have enough time on their hands and therefore feel the need to complain to be relevant. That may sound harsh, but I have come across people over the years who exhibit these characteristics. In the end, if you are doing everything you can for your dog or cat, it will most likely work out. Any disturbances you have with your neighbor can be worked out by simply discussing with them what you are doing to rectify the situation. Be polite, but firm. I am sure in the end it will work out for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment