Here are a few quick tips of what you will need to do to prepare in case such an emergency happens:
- Put a window decal on your window(s)
- Plan in advance and choose a location where your pet(s) will be safe. Contact your local animal shelters, veterinarian and kennels.Speak with family to see if they could offer a temporary safe place as well.
- Buy a pet first aid kit
- Purchase a first aid kit for humans
- Keep animal supplies such as dog leashes, blankets, food, litter and toys near you boxed up in a safe place in case of emergency
- Always keep water available for use
Visit the ASPCA website for a more complete list of items to keep on hand at:
http://www.aspca.org/about-us/free-aspca-stuff/free-pet-safety-pack.aspx . Your animals will thank you for your preparedness.